Let’s get introduced to the basic linux commands.
1. If you want to type something, for example “hi” in the terminal.
echo hi // this command will print “hi”
2. ls // This command lists all the directories and files.
You can type ls -all so as to print all the hidden files and directories too. Hidden file name starts with a .(dot).
3. To create a text file “text”, with .txt extention, type
vim text.text or gedit text.txt
Save the file.
4. Now, type ls and text.txt appears in your dir/file list.
5. You can copy and move this file “text.txt” using the following commands.
cp text.txt Desktop // to copy
mv text.txt Desktop // to move
6. To change the directory from pwd(present working directory) to other(Desktop) , type
7. ls-> text.txt appears in Desktop
8. To make a directory “hello”, type
cd hello // to change directory
rmdir hello //to remove directory( empty).
To remove directory with non empty files, type- rm -r directory
9. Choose a directory. For example Desktop.
This command gives you the details about free space available
10. Type ps //This command gives you the current running process.