This was my first contribution to open source. I fixed a bug!
The bug was to add a new word ‘quinoa’ into Firefox dictionary.
A few things that I learned :
1) Building and installing from source
2) Keeping in contact with the mentor and updating him every 2-3 days.
3) Creating a patch and asking for review
4) Updating the tree every time you do new stuffs
5) Working around multiple bugs that may cause weird patches
6) Reading source code
7) Using Internet Relay chat
8) Proper documentation
This was a great experience for me.
Thanks to my mentor Ehsan Akhgari who helped me through out the process.